My name is Beverly Miganowicz Bartolomeo. I was brought up in Templeton, attended school at Templeton Center and graduated from NRHS. My maiden name was Chipman. My fathers family has been in town for four generations. When I was a kid we had a small farm. It was pretty remote on South Road; three cars went by in a day.
I married John Miganowicz after high school. I have one daughter and two granddaughters of my own. I am now married to Frank Bartolomeo. We have been running a greenhouse operation in Leominster. My husband is the best grower in Worcester County. We sell vegetable plants and bedding plants (flowers) from the end of April to July. John works for us. My daughter does farmers markets in Waltham, MA. We are living on South Road - there is no place like home.
In the early seventies, I was involved with the first concerned citizens group. I worked with Gladys Salame to get her elected as the first woman selectman in the town of Templeton. I ran the Board of Health and served two terms. I probably would not be involved now if the town wasn't such a mess. It is not acceptable for anyone to be treated badly by any town official.
I will give everyone my view from the top of the hill on South Road - everyone is free to agree or disagree.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

A year comes to a close

Christmas 2013 has gone and it will be a new year in a couple of days.  This was not a bad year for me. I went to a couple of Jonathan's races to cheer him on.  I am truly amazed by how he can run so far and for so long.  He has determination that is for sure.  The Boston Marathon was one race no one will ever forget. Jon's achievement was lost in the smoke from the bomb, but he will always know he ran that race in under three hours.  As for Christmas, we did sell trees in Leominster again this year.  I think we sold all but two that we left there, and two Bart gave away.  This year we were down the road from 900 Central Street in a parking lot.  Bart and the guys put up a thirty foot greenhouse, we had lights and heat.  Only Bart could fix up a greenhouse to provide us with what we needed to stay warm.  I will not ask what it cost us to do all of this !!  Anyway people were wonderful, and it almost made me cry when they would say "we were their tradition," or "where would I go"? "I was afraid I would not be able to find you".  Some of the customers we have had been coming to Bart's for thirty years, some for ten, or some for three, but they all feel the same way.   I told them we had them covered, because for the next two years we would be at Sholand Farm selling trees, and teaching the people up there how to run the business like we do. Bart and I spoke to Joanne Dinardo and then we met with the Board of Directors at Sholand.  The have agreed to take our tree business when we are done, and we will give them all of our equipment.  They also asked if they could use the Barts Farm name, and of course we agreed.  What more could we ask, to have our business continue and to have our loyal customers taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment